Mark Van Clieaf, FRSA
Mark Van Clieaf is managing director at the FutureZero consultancy. FutureZero advises boards, CEOs, CFOs, CSOs, and CHROs on organization and business model design, aligned to Net Zero 2050 and the Digital Transformation of Everything.
Mark brings more than 30 years of consulting experience in boardrooms and C-Suites on three continents, across a broad range of industries. This includes global energy, utilities, global mining and metals, industry, consumer marketing, retail, technology, telecom, corporate and investment banking and institutional investors working worldwide.
He brings extensive experience in organizational design, executive staffing, and strategic leadership to the work of expanding executive capacity to drive business model transformation. He has negotiated employment agreements and incentive designs for more than 400 senior officers for some of the largest companies in the world.
Mark’s applied research on Net Zero 2050 has set the benchmarks for Business Model Carbon Intensity and Carbon Adjusted Return on Capital, spelled out in the forthcoming book [link to book page]Net Zero Business Models [/link].
His research also sets the benchmarks to align Net Zero 2050 with the five innovation zones required for net zero transformation.
Mark has led strategic leadership research over the last 30 years, identifying a direct link between company valuation, growth in Enterprise Value (EV), and the Levels of Systems Thinking.
Mark’s consulting experience, research and thought leadership have been published in numerous publications including:
- (Wiley, 2023) Link to Book Page
- Board Governance Handbook
- Corporate Governance Advisor
- The Corporate Board
- The Ivey Business Journal
- Business Horizons
- American Journal of Management Development
- NACD Newsletter / Magazines
His appointments, memberships, and thought leadership presentations have included:
- CFA New York Net Zero Business Models special thought leadership event
- Credit Suisse Global Energy Conference for the Energy Transition to Net Zero
- International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN) panel lead for Performance Metrics, Incentives and Sustainability
- Member of the CFA Society New York
- Sustainable Finance thought leadership group
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA) – RSA in the UK
- Guest Lecturer and Researcher, Corporate Governance, Ivey School of Business
- Commissioner for the National Association of Corporate Directors, Blue Ribbon Commission on CEO Succession Planning, Washington DC
- Founding Member, Executive Selection Research Advisory Board, Center for Creative Leadership, North Carolina
- Guest Lecturer, Ph.D, Industrial / Organizational Psychology, the University of Guelph, Canada’s founding program in I/O psychology.